Monday, November 17, 2014

Old Time Hearty Beef Stew-MMMmmm Monday

 photo 94cc4f87-884b-48b3-b48e-931fdcc01df7_zpsfa9f2a3e.jpg

When the weather turns cold don't you just crave some of your favorite comfort foods?  This week it started to look like winter outside and it definitely felt like winter inside.  I pulled on a sweater and sat down with a bunch of my  favorite cookbooks.  The Better Homes and Gardens is one of my favorites from many years ago...it might have even been my mom's cookbook!
  

I was looking for a soup or stew recipe that reminded me of Mom's.  I found it!  This recipe has an ingredient that most stews do not...cloves (or Allspice)!  It is exactly what a fall recipe needs, and exactly what I was looking for.


Along with the stew, I baked up some biscuits and steamed cups of hot cocoa.  Dinner that night felt warm and cozy inside and out!


Old-Time Hearty Beef Stew
(Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cook Book)

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut in 1 ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons shortening (I used cooking oil)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, sliced
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon pepper
Dash ground allspice or cloves
6 carrots, pared and quartered
4 potatoes, pared and quartered
1 pound small white onions
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

In Dutch oven, thoroughly brown meat in 2 tbsp. hot shortening, turning often.  Add 2 cups hot water and next 9 ingredients.   Cover; simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.  Remove bay leaves and garlic.  Add vegetables.  Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, or till vegetables are tender.
Slowly blend 1/3 cup cold water into 3 tablespoons flour.  Stir slowly into hot stew mixture.  Cook and still till bubbly.  Cook and stir 3 minutes longer.  Serve stew in bowls.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

(I thought I might trying adding kale or spinach leaves next time-just for a little added yumminess!)

 photo Kelliesign.jpg


3 comments:

  1. Hi! I had commented on a previous post from last year on the invite you did for the polar express ward party. Did you see that? I would really love to buy/get the template from you for that bc our ward is doing that this year. If you could let me know that would be great! my email address is emilynoelwolf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The invite was created by one of the ladies who is a graphic designer and unfortunately she does not sell her designs. She said it was very simple to create…red sparkly background with a fun font and a cool train pictures. I would suggest searching ETSY for Polar Express invitations. They usually have a lot of fun designs.
    Good luck…it was a really fun Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete