Saturday, November 29, 2014

Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas

My kids school has a little holiday boutique for the kids every year that is really special. Parents donate items for the boutique and then on each class' designated day the kids bring a few dollars in and "shop" for their families. All the money that is received is donated to families at our school that are in need. It's a really great way to give back to our school community as well as fun for the kids to shop for their family members. They even wrap the gifts in class so everyone can be surprised. One of my favorite gifts that one of my kids got for his grandpa were these "tootsie roll socks" it was great and he was so proud when grandpa put them on!
This year our school asked us to be creative and do some homemade gifts instead of just hitting up the dollar store.  I decided to take on the challenge. My kids and I made 3 types of gifts to donate.
The first are these cute mustache hot chocolate mugs. I got a mug from the dollar store, cut out a vinyl mustache on my silhouette, and put a little baggie of hot chocolate, mini marshmallows and candy canes. I tied it all together with this cute "Staching through the snow" tag. I love how it turned out.
The second item we made were these cute little scrapbooked journals. My 12 year old daughter did these pretty much all by herself. I got the idea from one of my favorite blogs, Lil Luna. She has all the dimensions and directions laid out for you.
The third idea was from this website. These cute dinosaur handle cups. They were super simple. I bought the cups and the dinosaurs from the dollar store and glued them on with E6000. You do need to hold them in place while the glue sets but once it's on, it's nice and strong. I decided to make it more of a gift by putting bottled water with a little fruit punch packet tied on.
I really enjoyed making these crafts this year. I tried to make as many of each as I could. Hopefully this will be a new tradition that I can share with my kids so they can feel a part of giving every Christmas season.
 
Here is my "staching through the snow tag" if you would like to print one for yourself! Just click on the image and save.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment